Friday, December 29, 2006

2006 weirdness

1) "Bag Bonnet" - The most "ghetto ass" thing I saw on 2006 - while leaving this library - is woman emerging from her car with a bonnet made out of a walmart bag. Actually I admire this kind of creativity. And have done many ghetto ass things myself - to save $. Just look at my car :)
2) "Avian Surgery" - The weirdest thing I did in 2006 was with Truvey. My dog attacked my favorite chicken, Meredith. She left a deep ragged hole in poor Meredith's neck. Truvey and I saved the bird by CRAZY GLUING the skin around the wound.... This took about an hour of touch and go as the wound re-opened in several areas. 2 months later, (after isolation and antibiotics) Meredith joined her coop mates and is doing very well.
3) "Poverty Survival techiniques" - Sometimes you have to do desperate things to "get by". I was injured 2 X this year along with very little income. For 8 months I took baths by microwaving 3 spaghetti pots of water...that is how I kept clean. Considered "shocking" in North America but this is quite common in Alaska and in many countries. WE ARE SPOILED!
4) POWER OF PERSISTANCE - This year I had several meltdowns as I tried to hang on to my house. I paid every mortgage on time - somehow - but I went bankrupt & have lost my credit; I played roulette with my utility bills and saved $ by keeping my house at 80 f. all summer. In Texas you can keep your property in bankruptsy. On the good side, I am healthy and my animals are well and my friends are awesome. I have come though a tough time and more than ready for my new job that starts Jan 2.
5) YOGA ! - IT WORKS! I have scoliosis which seems to leave my back in knots. A little calm stretching goes a long way. I follow a VHS tape....and it feels GOOD!
6) REALIZATION - AMERICA really really has to do something about our awful health care system. I have lived on both sides. I know. Last night I watched a documentary on how more and more Americans in need of surgery are going overseas to get it more cheaply. I HOPE HILARY CLINTON GETS THE PRESIDENCY!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nina! I have seen that "bag bonnet" thing! I mean, doesn't the dollar store sell those little rain panchos for $1?? lol
I'm glad you survived the year and if you ever need a place to stay in Texas, you give me a call! I don't cook though... ;)

Anonymous said...

You surely have had a a year full of ordeals. You must be so proud to have lived through it, with your sanity still in place. Also it's great that you still do your art! So many who have struggles just give up, but you didn't! That is truly marvellous!! You must be a strong and fabulous woman Nina!!!

I can imagine you're ready for that new job. I am sure it'll be exciting and interesting to start on something new!

Hope you had a good Christmas, and that 2007 will be a year that will treat you a bit nicer! I think you deserve a break.

Love Eilen

NINANINA said...

I AM NOT SURE IF i AM STILL SANE.. BUT IF I AM inSANE.. ITS IN A GOOD WAY! :D

Pat Paulk said...

My hat is off to you. Most of us would crack under that kind of pressure. May 2007 be far better in ways you can't imagine!!