Wednesday, February 06, 2008

work story

As my Indian roomie would say: "Too much work touching".
This is a story about getting tough. I am a peace maker, a middle child and used to be pushover.

Case2: Very recently, my immediate co worker (who was new) was standing rather close to me (we are forced to stand close because of the layout of the computer kiosk which really does not agree with me). HE was speaking with a customer and asked me for my advice/opinion. When I started giving him information, the customer overheard me and redirected their attention to me. HE didn't like this so he started smashing down my small little pinkie with all his might to "shut me up".... IT HURT! I was shocked and started saying to him "What the fuck are you doing?" and I walked alway to take my lunch. Later, he apologised but he may as well have been yelling out random numbers into the air if you know what I mean.
Three days later HE WAS fired! My faith in the store was somewhat restored.
Next time someone touches me at work there will be a LAWSUIT; I don't make much money at this job but I could get rich if people keep touching my poor worn out 50 year old hands. I need them for my beautiful drawings dude.
The good news is, I have recently got a lateral job move. This suits me just fine. No more kiosk, no more managers presiding over me...or me having to bear the brunt of lousy delivery and installation foibles, or bearing the wrath of many a frustrated customer! I GOT "promoted" to be store sign maker tada-tadaaaa! Its about as artistic as you can get at my corporation. The best part is that I get my own little private nook for mass producing my hand written store signs. I can put up photos of my dog, my daughter, and my dream cabin in Alaska. I can have my own coffee pot and cd player. Well I better not get too carried away.
Things are going OK. I still have my hands to make store signs.

8 comments:

Johnny said...

Congrats on the move Nina. Cant say its lateral though. Anytime you are happier where you are than where you were, its a move up.

Me and my daughter (Nellie) always
swing by here to look at your art.
Have to say the architecture drawings are my favorite.

Katie McKenna said...

Damn those people! I'm so happy that you were transfered over and up! Keep the faith! You will be in Alaska before you know it!

Katie McKenna said...

p.s. did I ever mention to you that my brother's nick name has been Diamond Dog for years? lol

Phil said...

WTF is wrong with some people??? I know that for quite some time I ate a lot of shit from people but I would not (and do not) take that anymore. Reve had a funny line he used to say which was that "Life is like a shit sandwich, the more bread you have the lesss shit you have to eat". You showed restraint and class by not breaking that woman's fingers and stuffing them up her nose. Glad you stood your ground with that other guy Nina and got the coveted sign making job. I still remember you did the truck for your landlord back in the day...
I like the "CORporation is so CORRupt" line, clever
xo-p-lip

Unknown said...

Nina, when anyone touches you in a hurtful manner, this is ASSAULT and BATTERY. There seems to be a lot of anger, resentment and frustration and even some "lateral violence" between workers at your place of business.

Unhappiness at the job helps breed this anger.

I had a situation years ago with this psycho nurse midwife who openly HATED nurses and was a reeking cesspool of malice and bad energy. She used to like to slap the nurses hands out of the way. She did that to me once. I pulled her aside, looked her in the eyes, and very calmly said,"Don't you ever do that again." I didn't say anything else. She looked at my riled up NJ Italian seething rage and homicidal tendencies and knew I would take her out in one punch.

Don't let these people bully you! Stand your ground!

NINANINA said...

HELL YAH I will stand my ground. getting better at it everyday!

Anonymous said...

Seester -

Good for you on all of this and I laughed out loud about the CORRupt CORporation observation ;)

People become inhuman when overcrowded and the result is emotional cannibalism...get out of the L48 ASAP.

The spirit of your dream cabin already basks in the sunshine and minus 24F of this glorious Alaskan morning. The Tanana Flats spread out from the ridge to a clear view of the Alaska Range 100 miles south.

Come home soon!

Brudder.

floots said...

promotion is good - but private space is even better
well done